Saturday, January 4, 2014

DA-BAR Free Seminar Series: Pag-aalaga ng Katutubong Baboy (Native Pigs of the Philippines)

Educational video review: indigenous swine production


More than a year ago, the Bureau of Animal Research of the Department of Agriculture had launched this advocacy to promote nationalistic pride at least in terms of livestock farming particularly on indigenous swine farming.

Farmers in rural areas were highly  encouraged to join their 'paiwi' program for a a sustainable and organic pork production with the use of breeds native to the tropical country of the Philippines.

When I stumbled upon this video on Youtube, I was surprised as how organized the project was. And honestly speaking, this was one of my inspirations to form my own start up. Well, right now, it still is a hobby as I am not yet selling anything. But hopefully in a couple of years, I would be able to start marketing. My initial target is to have 52 heads so that I would have 1 pig to be slaughtered every week for the rest of the year. Of course, I do not intend to butcher all of them in just a year. Needless to say, some of them would still breed by the time my count gets 52. Good luck to me and my future agribusiness!

For now, I am happy to share these two videos to you, guys! Enjoy watching!



And here is the second part of the video training. How I wish I could have more time to include captions/subtitles in English for my non-Filipino followers. Oh, well, I think that would be a great idea. For now, please bear with me.


What I like about these videos is that it promotes a sustainable way for farmers to earn more without having to invest too much money. Imagine, the grass that they will be clearing from their fields can/will be consumed by their pigs. And when they poop, the manure can be collected and be fed to African night crawlers producing vermicasts as organic fertilizers. Now, this promotes efficiency through zero waste management in the farm. Less input more yield!



Let's exercise our freedom of expression. Please feel free to post comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment